I’ve recently been inspired to read books set in Ireland. I wanted them to correlate to the places I had been. This is what I came up with and they all sound pretty interesting.
If your looking for Irish themed books here is a reading list to follow:
- Dublin: A Dublin Student Doctor by Patrick Taylor. Part of the Irish Country series. This story is something of a prequel set in the 1930s. The story centers on Fingal Flaherty O’Reilly, where he goes to Dublin to study medicine.
- Southern Ireland: The Whisper by Carla Neggars. This is a romantic suspense penned by the wonderful Carla Neggars.
- Cork: A Cruel Harvest by Paul Reid. An action adventure romance set in 18th century Ireland. Based on a story the author heard about during a visit to his home county. A hundred villagers
were kidnapped by North African slave ships in the 17th century. Paul Reid was intrigued by the story and recreated it many years into the next century. Prepare yourself for swashbuckling adventure and romance on the open seas.
- Cork: Girl on the Cliffs by Lucinda Riley. Set on the rugged wind swept cliffs of Ireland a young woman finds old family letters dating back to World War I and uncovers a family mystery.
- Limerick: Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. This is the memoir of Frank McCourt, the Brooklyn born son of Irish immigrants. His family moves back to the slums of Limerick, Ireland. Part humor, part horror, part tragedy, this is a story not to be missed.
- Galway: Grania She-King of the Irish Seas by Morgan Llywelyn. This is the amazing story of Irish chieftain Grace O’ Malley. She was a woman ahead of her time. She didn’t sit idly by sewing and waiting for her man to return to home and hearth. Grace fought her battles on the open sea as the pirate queen. Another swashbuckling adventure story.